Calvin MayburyCalvin Maybury
Lifetime Service Award

P. Calvin Maybury (47) graduated from Allentown, Pennsylvania High School with honors in 1942 and entered ENC that fall. Drafted after two years into the US Army at Fort Dix, NJ, he was selected to study the Japanese language at the University of Chicago in the Army Specialized training program after basic training. As the wars ended Cal was sent to Japan in the occupational army where he served in the intelligence unit of the 24th infantry division. Returning to ENC, he graduated with a BS in chemistry and then traveled with the ENC Ambassador Quartet in the summer before enrolling in Boston University as a chemistry graduate student while waiting on admission to The Johns Hopkins University. Admitted to The Johns Hopkins in 1949, Cal completed his Doctorate in Chemistry in 1952 and was employed in the summers at the Applied Physics Laboratory in Silver Spring, Maryland, becoming a full-time senior scientist at the Laboratory working in the field of guided missiles after graduation. During his first year Cal was invited back to the university to assist his mentor in a new research grant in the field of boron chemistry to gain more experience in his research area and help him if he eventually accepted a teaching position. Such a position opened at ENC in 1954 and Cal accepted an offer to join the chemistry department where he became the department chairman and was promoted to an Associate Professorship in 1957.

During the seven years Cal taught at ENC he obtained research grants from the US Air force and the Atomic Energy Commission for his research in boron hydride chemistry with many of his students assisting in this research. In addition Cal received several grants from the National Science Foundation to support summer institutes for high school science teachers in the area taught by ENC faculty, and he was given the responsibility of coordinating the design of the new Shrader Hall Science building. During his ENC tenure he was active in the American Chemical Society, both locally in the Northeastern section and nationally, serving as chairman of the Education committee of the Northeastern Section. His committee started the High School Chemistry Examination Contest which is still going strong today.

After seven years Cal found a challenging opportunity at the New University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida where he joined the chemistry department as an associate professor and was selected as the first Chairman of the department of Chemistry in 1963, resulting in a 10 year tenure. During this time 25 additional PhD’s were added to the staff and a master’s program and PhD program were initiated. Highlights of his career included a term as Visiting Scholar at UCLA where he carried out research with the Nobel Prize Scientist Willard F Libby, and being selected to go to India under the auspices of Columbia University and the USAID to conduct an in-service institute for Indian High School chemistry teachers. Cal continued to be active in the American Chemical Society serving as a member of the Examination Committee, and he was chairman of the National General Chemistry committee and the National physical chemistry committee. Cal served as Chairman of the Florida Section of the ACS, as a national councilor, and as an ACS Visiting scientist for high schools and colleges. His University activities included serving as a Danforth Faculty Associate as well as a Danforth Liaison Officer. During his last few years at the University Cal became involved as a consultant in the pharmaceutical area and became Vice President for Research and Development of Belmac Corporation. This led to his starting a new Biotech company together with Richard Shubert and Bruce Reeves. This endeavor was primarily involved with the development of a blood substitute utilizing bovine hemoglobin. Cal retired from active participation in 1997 and now resides in the Villages, Florida where he and his wife, Anne, attend the Leesburg Church of the Nazarene.